Friday, September 17, 2010

We Are Family


I will never forget when I interviewed for a job at Cardin almost five years ago.  I came early for the interview to provide me with time to observe behavior of students and faculty on a one-hall school.  My first impression was of the informal, warm interactions that was a universal for the entire community of administrators, teachers, and students.  I knew at that moment that this was a culture that was a perfect match for my values and philosophy of what a school can be.  Fortunately, I was hired to work at Cardin.  

Entering my fifth year, I am proud that my initial observation has not changed.  Cardin is a different kind of school.  A small but pluralistic group of students learn to respect each other, value their differences, and develop an attitude that the possibilites of life-long friendships are part of the Cardin culture.  Teacher-student relations are friendly, but clear-cut role divisions are understood.  Many alumni communicate with teachers via email, facebook, or visits to the school years after graduation (four graduation classes so far).  At Cardin, we are family.  Please hum the music from the famous song of this title (I love the song, but I still am reminded of the 1979 World Series with the “We Are Family” Pittsburgh Pirates. Ouch!).  I invite anyone to visit Cardin and enjoy this experience.  Student maturation and growth takes on many dimensions.  Attending a small school in a loving environment has an impact beyond academic studies.  This is the Cardin difference!



~Bob Cantor
Social Studies Chair

No comments:

Post a Comment