Monday, September 27, 2010

Transitions

Transitions are difficult. We have high expectations for our teens to be able to transition well. At this time of year, we expect students to have made the transition from waking up at their leisure during the summer to waking up early for the school day. We expect them to be able to transition from class to class, on time and with all supplies. And as we wind down the fall chaggim season, we expect them to transition from 2 or 3-day school weeks to 5-day school weeks.


As I observe our Cardin students, I see that they easily live up to our expectations. They come to school cheerful – if sleepy – with smiles on their faces, ready to start each new day. While they had fantastic summers, on USY on Wheels, at camp, working, or just hanging around, Cardin students are prepared and excited to learn this school year. I’m excited, too – my before-school excitement jitters start over again each week as it feels as if we are transitioning anew after each chagRosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, and later this week, Simchat Torah. I enjoy the holidays, spending time with my family and time alone contemplating what 5771 will hold and what 5770 did hold, but I also enjoy Cardin and look forward to really beginning the rigorous academic school year next week.

~Barbie Prince
Head of School

No comments:

Post a Comment