Friday, October 30, 2009

Thinking about Purim in October

Saturday night, after Shabbat, ghosts and goblins, pirates and aliens, will roam the streets knocking on doors and begging for sweets. America will be celebrating Halloween. Several months from now American Jews will be celebrating Purim. So, probably, because it’s going to be Halloween, I am thinking about Purim. On Purim, I step outside of myself and into someone else’s costume. Even the Scroll of Esther itself sets the precedent for mask wearing. Esther the Jewess dresses up as a queen and Mordecai parades on a horse wearing the royal robes. So, maybe, just on Purim, I want to be a muscle man or Elvis, or even try to feel what it’s like to be Queen Esther or Mordecai. For one day only, our tradition gives me permission to be someone else. Then I step back into my skin and get back to the business of living. Once again, I become Rabbi Seltzer, Dean of Judaic Studies at the Cardin School.

No comments:

Post a Comment