Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Giving from our hearts

Last week, as I was exiting the beltway to turn onto Reisterstown Road, I had red light. Standing beside the line of cars, me was a young woman holding a sign explaining that she was unemployed with two small children. I noticed that person in the car in front of me made a donation. She then moved and was standing right beside my car, looking sad and sincere. I pondered for less than a minute and reached into my purse. Just as the light was chain gin, I handed her my contribution and she resided with “I will pray for you- thank you so much.”

The Shulchan Aruch , YD 249:7 says “if a person convinces another person to give, their reward is greater than when they give on their own.”

I spend my days devising ways to raise thousands, perhaps one day, millions of dollars for our school. This is something so foreign to the young woman on the beltway, yet we all want what is best for our children and families. In these very challenging times, let’s all think when asked to give and then give from our hearts for all the right reasons.

Marjorie R. Hoffman
Director of Development and Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment