Friday, October 23, 2009

“Imagining With A Little Help From My Students”

“Imagining With A Little Help From My Students”

Sometimes I try to imagine who wrote each of the individual morning blessings we recite every day. Sometimes I try to imagine the events, experiences, or occasions which “inspired” the creation of a particular blessing. And sometimes I ask my students to help me with the “wondering.” This week’s Torah portion is Noach. Mark Mazer from the graduating class of 2008 helped me imagine Noah composing many of our morning blessings.

“Who open the eyes of the blind”
Noah might have said this upon first seeing land after the Flood. However, he might also have said this upon first being approached by God, thankful that he has been informed of the impending doom.

“Who releases the bound”
Noah might have said this after being released from the Ark, finally able to move about freely.

“Who clothes the naked”
Noah might have said this after waking up from his drunken stupor when Shem and Japheth dressed him.

“Who makes guides us on our path”
Noah might have said this with his first steps on land, after having spent so much time on the Ark.

“Who strengthens the people Israel with courage”
Noah might have said this with a deep breath upon preparing for his life after the Flood, knowing that it would be a long hard journey, and that he would need much strength.

Rabbi Stuart Seltzer
Dean of Judaic Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment