Thursday, September 17, 2009

Tikkun Olam and the New Year

As Rosh Hashanah approaches, our school has conducted special minyanim relating to Tephilah Tzedakah, and Teshuva. In contemplating these essential aspects of Jewish thought and practice, I would like to share inspiration that pertains to Tikkum Olam. The New Year provides an opportunity to contemplate how we can repair our world, and I look for models that provide a framework of possibilities.

My brother and his wife contemplated the plight of abandoned children in Oregon, and petitioned Social Services to request adoption of children that were currently in foster care. They made the decision to adopt to start their family. This was a life changing decision, and they were ready for the commitment.

After two years of bureaucratic madness, they grew quite frustrated in that no children were assigned to them in the adoption process. Finally, Oregon Social Services contacted them and made a request. They were seeking an adoptive family for three children, all siblings: two brothers and a sister. Their ages were four, three, and one. Can you imagine being middle aged and suddenly going from no children to three? They accepted for adoption the three children and an instant family was their reality.

I visited my family in Portland, Oregon this summer and enjoyed meeting my two new nephews and niece. They had great energy, were all smiles and full of laughter, and were well on their way to the adjustment of foster care to an adoptive family. I was overjoyed for all.

I am not suggesting that we seek adoption of three children as a Tikkun Olam moment, but hope Rosh Hashanah generates the opportunity to find a way to determine what Tikkun Olam means to us individually as Jews, and to the greater benefit of humanity as a whole. My brother has provided me with much to contemplate, and I admire and respect his decision. I hope this New Year we find the path to Tikkun Olam that works best for us all.

Bob Cantor
Social Studies Chair
Psychology and History Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment