Friday, March 25, 2011

Letters to Gilad Shalit's Parents

As all of you know, this is the fifth year that Gilad Shalit has been held captive in Gaza. Last week, people in Israel stood for 5 minutes in silence, one minute for each year.

Gilad’s mother wrote a letter to her son, though she cannot deliver it to him. A copy of the letter was forwarded to me and I shared it with my Hebrew classes. The students wrote letters in conversational Hebrew to Gilad’s parents to let them know that we are thinking of them, and we pray for his return home soon.

I share some of my students' words:

Alex H: “...my class recently read and translated your message to Gilad. It was a heart-wrenching message and I wish you all the luck in the world with getting your son back...”

Dora: “...I can’t begin to describe what must be going on in your life right now. A mother’s heart is the strongest feeling in the world. I am sure there isn’t one second when he isn’t thinking of you...”

Bobby W: “... Although he is not with you, there is a bond between mother and son and father and son that can not be broken, no matter what happened... it is important to remember the good times you have had together and hopefully God will bring him home soon.”

Yeriah R: “...I am sure during the night he is thinking of you, his friends and Israel just like you can not stopping thinking of him and trying to bring him home safely...”

Nora S: “... I have been following the news about your son and I wanted you to know that he is in my prayers. Today in my Hebrew class, my teacher read your speech. I can not even begin to imagine what you must be going through...”

Matt D: “it’s important to have a positive attitude through this hard time. I pray and hope for his return home safely and healthy...”

If any additional students want to write letters to Gilads' parents, please do so and give them to me, I will send them to his parents.

Thank you.

~Morah Zohara Chaban
Instructor of Hebrew

No comments:

Post a Comment