Thursday, February 3, 2011

Call Me An Optimist

It's been a crazy winter, not that I'm complaining about the snow days and delays, but it's starting to get a little ridiculous. Today is Groundhog's Day. An old friend used to say that it was the most optimistic day of the year. We all go around hoping that the little guy will see his shadow, giving us a break on the winter season. And today, he did see it, which for me, brightened an otherwise dismal day in just the smallest way. You see, today I learned that a former classmate of many Cardin students passed away suddenly on Tuesday. It's a devastating event that made me want to hug my own children a little tighter. It's tragedies like these that make you realize how fragile life is. As the school counselor, I met with all of the students who were personally affected. I also contacted each of their parents in an effort to keep the lines of communication open. And in another small way my otherwise dismal day was brightened. I took pause to reflect on how close we are in the Cardin community. How much we care about one another. And how we support each other when needed. Call me an optimist.

~Jackie Villet
School Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment