Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gratitude and BLEWS

I had such an enjoyable Thanksgiving and feel especially grateful at this time of year. As always, my holiday began with a fun road race called the Turkey Trot. It’s such a great community event and I always feel ready to eat my heart out after running that 5k!! I was then off to Allentown to spend the weekend with my entire family – three sisters and brother in laws, 11 nieces and nephews, and one very proud mom. We cook, shop, sing, and laugh for four days straight. Coming back to work on Monday, I felt recharged and enthusiastic about being in such a warm and cohesive environment.


As luck would have it, last night this feeling of gratitude continued when I had the opportunity to attend the BLEWS, The Black-Jewish Forum of Baltimore’s Annual Dinner Meeting. They honored State Senator Delores Kelley and Councilwoman Rikki Spector for their exemplary public service and contributions to interracial understanding and cooperation. It was exciting to be sitting along side other attendees such as Councilman Cark Stokes, Bernie Berkowitz, and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. It was humbling to hear about the continuing efforts of the BLEWS members, and the honorees in particular, toward advancing social and economic justice for all. I have a great appreciation and a whole lot of gratitude for these leaders who don’t just walk and talk the "walk and talk". They do what it takes to inspire those around them to make the changes necessary to advance Baltimore.

~Jackie Villet
School Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment