Friday, May 7, 2010

Countdown to Israel

In honor of Rabbi Seltzer's message about Israel, I have decided to create my own countdown. Many of you know that I will be going to Israel for the first time this summer-- 26 years later, I will have the opportunity to spend a month in the holy land, traveling around the country for the first week and studying in Israel for the next 3 weeks.


For this post, I have decided to share some of my pre-trip thoughts:

1. I have studied about Israel for most of my life. Since I was young, my family took me to Israel rallies and Israel advocacy events. For most of my life I have advocated for a country on a map-- one that I only knew through others' stories, stories of the land and people, stories of the zionist vision, and stories of modern Israel.

2. Will I feel at home? Often, after visiting Israel, many of my friends have told met that they felt “at home”, in essence, they felt an extraordinary connection to the land. Will I, too, feel that connection? Will I be moved to call in my home? And what will that do for my beliefs in a Jewish state?

3. How will my visit change my Jewish identity. Until this point in my life, I have had a strong Jewish identity: I keep the mitzvot, volunteer in the community, and support Jewish institutions. How will this change after I visit Israel? Will my Jewish identity be strengthened? How will I see myself as a member of the Jewish people? Will my responsibilities change?

As I look ahead to the experience, I am struck with a sense of awe-- I am inspired at the progress the state of Israel has made in its 62 years. From the early zionists who dreamed of a homeland, to the modern state-- filled with diverse religious and cultural groups-- where do I belong?

As Rabbi Seltzer said at the end of his blog, “so the countdown begins...” Well, my countdown has begun, and June 20th is around the corner. June 20th is the day I will depart New York and arrive in Israel, the homeland of my faith. But before I go, I am asking for advice, suggestions, and tips: What would you tell a first time visitor to Israel? What advice would you give?

My Israel countdown has begun: a dream, in its own right, is going to be fulfilled.

Shabbat Shalom,

Joel Neft
English Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment