Friday, April 30, 2010

Spelunking

When I was a young child, my parents made caves for me, and I played in them.

They moved chairs and couches, and covered them with blankets and old sheets. I enjoyed these cozy, private, and individual spaces they had created for me.

Because of my parent’s example, as I grew older, I was able to build my own caves.

Even before these make shift caves, my parents held me in their arms, making a cave around me.

This coming Sunday is the holiday of Lag B’omer.

We remember our sages who hid in caves from Roman soldiers in order to study Torah.

Today, we are fortunate to live in America, where we don’t have to hide to express our Judaism. We are blessed with beautiful synagogues and Jewish Day Schools like Cardin.

I am thinking about caves, the caves where our ancestors had to study and those of our future.

Caves give us protection and shelter.

Some caves are challenging.

Other caves provide opportunities for exploration and discovery.

Caves are fun.

We thank our parents and teachers for building the caves where we learn to play, to study, and to explore.

And there is nothing quite as satisfying as building our own caves and living in them.

Happy Lag B’omer,
Rabbi Stuart Seltzer

No comments:

Post a Comment